Thursday, May 24, 2018

FOCUSING THE LENS

I admit it!  I'm somewhat of a photo junkie.  Taking pictures has been a hobby  (an obsession) for as long as I can remember.  The evidence is everywhere!  In my prized collection of scrapbooks, in boxes and boxes of prints (from way before the digital age), and NOW in files and files of electronically organized photos... each good (and not so good picture) tells a story!

Capturing each moment along the way has brought me great joy!  The art and science of photography (and sometimes even a little irritation from my teenage subjects), has been a great way to mark the past, the present, and yes, even the future.


My husband and (now) adult children, (those once slightly irritated teens) have come to fully appreciate my picture taking habits.  Recently, (for Mother's Day) they gifted me a brand new camera.  I've gotten some great shots over the years with simple cameras, and I love my iPhone camera, but this one is a "fancy one",  loaded with lots of settings and lens options.   It's been fun experimenting, learning new techniques and angles and lighting features... all for the sake of capturing the moment...with creativity...quality...and you know, "THE PERFECT SHOT" 


Interestingly, as I expand my lens on photography, I am learning it isn't just about a hobby, it's becoming a daily reminder to expand my lens on life (my perspective if you will),  allowing me to push beyond my narrow borders---both physically and spiritually, to sit (or stand) in awesome wonder!  To consider, ALL Thy Hands have made. To take in, ALL of His creation.

I am reminded of the English merchant and a renowned poet who stood watching the sun come up out of the sea.  The bright yellow disk of the sun emerged, gilding the water and painting the sky with a thousand colors.   "Ah! I see gold!" the merchant said.  The poet answered, "I see the glory of God! And I hear a multitude of the heavenly host crying, "the whole earth is full of His glory."
one of my favorites- Wrightsville Bridge

There is a myriad of people, places and things I am already planning to capture through my "Canon Lens",  but what about the lens of a busy life, filled with noise that I sometimes have to sift thru? What about the circumstances where I struggle to see the beauty,  the desperate needs in the lives of so many, overwhelming me at every corner?

Whether it be photography, some other form of creative interest, or just plain ole' good intention and discipline...

Let us push back the narrow borders of our individual worlds, let us refocus our lens.  Through the BEAUTY and the BROKEN,  let us take in the WHOLE creation of God.


IN THE EVERY DAY, SEE HIS GLORY! 


Thou art worthy,  Lord to receive glory and honour and power; 
for thou has created all things.
  
Revelation 4:11 


Taken in Alaska in 2016


A recent favorite...not taken by me, of course :)  

Hadassah sending Uncle Matt graduation well wishes



1 comment:

  1. Feel free to leave a comment if you've been inspired.

    ReplyDelete