Wednesday, April 19, 2017

BASEBALL, FREE TACOS and THE BREAD OF LIFE

IN HONOR OF BASEBALL SEASON EVERYWHERE....
a never-before-shared, journal entry.

It is a blustery cold October evening and I am sitting in the parking lot of a local Taco Bell with my 12-year-old son.  The 2008 World Series has come to Philadelphia and there is a palpable excitement everywhere we go.  Taco Bell has partnered with MLB and is offering a free taco for every stolen base in the world series.

On this Tuesday night the 28th day of October 2008, between the hours of 2 pm and 6 pm, there is a never ending line of kids (and their adults) gathering for one thing and one thing only.....A FREE TACO.

Matt  2008  
Sure, today makes a fun moment and a great memory that I will always have to share with my boy, who is feverishly devoted to the game in his own right.   But, I cannot help but wonder, what it would take for the crowds to swarm after the gift of salvation.  After all, IT IS FREE!  Standing in line to get a free taco doesn't really require much of me. Maybe a few extra minutes of my day, but certainly nothing of lasting value, really.

Salvation is a free gift!  But first, we need to acknowledge our need before we can accept it.  Why is it so hard for us to acknowledge our need for a saviour, but we don't think twice about blowing 30 minutes to stand in line for a free taco (that we don't really need)?   There are no eternal rewards that come from eating a taco, but there certainly are rich and eternal rewards that come from accepting the free gift of salvation.  

in little less than a month, he'll be 21!  (time flies)



Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life.  No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst.....For it is my Father's will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal life."       JOHN 6: 35,40


Enjoy baseball! 
Eat a free taco! 
But do it all, acknowledging and accepting the Bread of Life! 



Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment